Summer Health Tips
Your Health Loves Summer!!!
Here are Olivia Kennedy’s top 10 reasons to love summer…
Olivia is a Naturopath, Nutrtitions and Wellpark College graudate.
- Vitamin D ~ deficiency of this important vitamin may be the reason you feel SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) during the winter months. Vitamin D enhances immunity, supports gut integrity and builds strong bones, to name just a few of its vital functions. Our primary source of vitamin D is the sun, small amounts are found in cod liver oil, oily fish, liver and eggs
- Summer produce ~ summer fruit is hydrating, and full of vitamin C, antioxidants and fibre. Enjoy berries, cherries and stone fruit while they are at their peak. Make fruit salads, fruit platters and fruit kebabs as fun ways include fruit into your daily diet
- Juices and smoothies ~ delicious way to hydrate and supply the body with a concentrated source of nutrients. Use vegetables as the base, add fruit to sweeten and include protein to feel fuller for longer and preserve muscle
- Mocktails ~ one of my favourite combos is “berries and cream” with frozen berries (especially raspberries) and coconut milk. Experiment with different combinations of fruit (tropical fruit goes down a treat), juices and plant-based milks
- Detox ~ there is no excuse not to cleanse the body after Christmas and New Year. The liver is the second largest organ in the body (after the skin) and has the important job of detoxing our body. Milk thistle and Globe artichoke are two of the most beneficial herbs to support the liver’s natural detoxification processes. These are available from a Naturopath/Herbalist like Liv
- Sweat ~ our body’s way of detoxing and maintaining our body temperature in the heat of summer. Water and electrolytes are required for optimal hydration. Sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium are essential minerals and electrolytes
- Sea water ~ salt in sea water naturally dries and exfoliates the skin, which improves acne and wound healing. Interestingly, sea water does not have to touch your face to improve acne. Simply stand or walk along the beach with your feet in the water to reap the benefits. Minerals from sea water are highly absorbable through the soles of the feet
- Earthing ~ summer is the most appealing time of year to get in touch with the earth. Touching the earth with bare feet supplies the body with electrons which is thought to lower stress, reduce inflammation, boost the immune system, and sync our circadian rhythm, which improves sleep
- Motivation to get in shape ~ if you need a reason to finally take action on your health and fitness goals, summer is the season. Get active outdoors with a buddy and tick multiple points off this list in one adventure… vitamin D from the sun, eat summer fruit, drink a juice/smoothie, sweat in the heat, go to the beach to swim in the sea and earth in nature, all in one day!
- Rejuvenate ~ the majority of us have time off over Christmas and New Year to recover from a busy year. Set some time aside to set your goals for 2017. You may like to set a goal for 5 important areas in your life e.g. Personal, Physical, Financial, Career and Educational. Choose the areas that resonate with you
Fun fact! Antioxidants, especially carotenoids, in our skin act as natural sunscreen by offering mild protection against UV rays. For a range of phytonutrients, aim to eat a rainbow of colours everyday ~ red, orange, green, blue, purple and white
Enjoy summer, Liv xx
Follow Liv on Facebook Liv’s Apothecary & Health Clinic